Comparing The Solver Report Writer and Account Schedules in Dynamics 365 Business Central: Which is Right for Your Business?
When it comes to advanced reporting in Dynamics 365 Business Central (D365 BC), there are a few options available to users. One of the most popular is the Solver report writer, a third-party solution that enhances the built-in reporting capabilities of D365 BC. In this blog post, we will compare the Solver report writer with the Account Schedules report writer in D365 BC and highlight some of the key benefits of using Solver for advanced reporting.
First, let’s take a look at the Account Schedules report writer in D365 BC. This built-in report writer allows users to create financial reports using a combination of predefined templates and custom layouts. The templates include standard financial reports such as balance sheets, income statements, and cash flow statements. Users can also create custom reports by selecting the data they want to include and the layout they want to use. However, the Account Schedules report writer has some limitations when it comes to advanced reporting. For example, it does not support advanced calculations, data visualization, or the ability to export data to Excel.
On the other hand, the Solver report writer, a cloud-connected Excel add-in, offers a wide range of advanced reporting capabilities that are not available in the built-in report writer. Here are five reasons why a customer may want to add Solver for advanced reporting:
- Advanced calculations: Solver allows users to create custom calculations using a wide range of functions and operators. This includes the ability to create custom formulas, perform data manipulations, and create calculations that are not possible with the built-in report writer.
- Data visualization: Solver offers a wide range of data visualization options, including charts, graphs, and pivot tables. This allows users to create interactive reports that are easy to understand and interpret. Solver also provide a Power BI integration with more than 50 pre-built financial dashboards.
- Export to Excel: Solver allows users both to design reports in Excel, run then in the web portal and to export data to Excel, which is not possible with the built-in report writer. This allows users to analyze data both in the web browser and in Excel and they can create custom reports using Excel’s familiar, advanced features.
- Flexibility: Solver allows users to create custom reports using a variety of data sources, such as SQL Server, Azure SQL, and Dynamics 365. This gives users the flexibility to create reports using the data that is most relevant to their business. Solver also offers budgeting and forecasting, thereby eliminating the need for another tool to streamline the budgeting and planning process.
- Better User experience: Solver has a user-friendly interface that allows users to create reports quickly and easily. This makes it easy for users to create reports without having to be an expert in coding or SQL.
In conclusion, the Solver report writer offers a wide range of advanced reporting capabilities that are not available in the built-in report writer in D365 BC. While the Account Schedules report writer is suitable for creating standard financial reports, Solver is ideal for advanced reporting and data analysis. If you’re looking for more flexibility, advanced calculations, data visualization, export to Excel, and better user experience, Solver may be the right choice for your business.
Only Solver delivers a one-day rapid deployment, including free and instant access to $100K of value available on Day 1 in the Solver Marketplace. Solver is committed to helping you with all your advanced planning and reporting needs, so you can Accelerate Better Decisions – starting now.