Does your accounting and finance department waste valuable time with manual monthly reporting tools? Do you have too many Excel spreadsheets to keep track of? Is your budget process slow and painful? With Corporate Performance Management (CPM) software you can lead a transformation of the office of finance in your business â and as a result help enable your management teams with faster and better decisions.
In this blog, we will look at the benefits of CPM software and how it can transform your business.
What Is CPM Software?
Modern Corporate Performance Management software uses cloud platforms that enable a single version of the truth with automated and self-service financial and operational reporting. It also manages the entire budget process as well as forecasting tasks that drive more accurate year-end estimates. Using CPM software enables process improvements, reduces mistakes, minimizes dependency on manual spreadsheets, and speeds up analysis.Â
CPM software also enhances and extends the reporting and planning capabilities of ERP systems. While popular ERP solutions from vendors like Microsoft, Sage, SAP, and Acumatica always offer basic financial reporting and budgeting functionality, customers typically grow out of these tools. They then either end up with manual Excel spreadsheet models or they bolt a CPM solution on top of their ERP system to make sure their teams have best-of-breed solutions both for accounting needs as well as planning and reporting.
Spreadsheets Are Flexible, butâ¦.
Most companies, nonprofits, and government organizations are still relying on manual Excel spreadsheets in various areas of their reporting and planning processes. Chances are that you are too!
Below are some of the typical issues with spreadsheets. The resulting pain can go from overworked staff that quits to finance managers that get fired because of inaccuracies or direct negative impact on a companyâs ability to drive efficiencies and to grow:Â
- Inaccurate output due to formula mistakes
- Broken or outdated links to data sources or other files
- Lack of efficient collaboration, multiple users cannot access and update files simultaneously
- Insufficient controls with no approval process or workflow due to the nature of Excel files
- No real-time reporting during budgeting and forecasting process to assess progress or catch errors
- Inability to dynamically refresh models with the latest actualsÂ
- No audit trail to track when individual changes were made
- Lack of documentation and support due to proprietary models
- Dependency on Excel gurus to fix issues or make changes
- Slow monthly reporting process
- Slow budget and forecast processes
- And moreâ¦
However, despite the potential issues of relying too much on spreadsheets for your financial reporting and planning, they also have many advantages, such as:Â
- Almost all financial staff are familiar with Excel
- Spreadsheets are incredibly flexible and have great graphics and layout capabilities
- Models can be designed quickly to solve various information needs
As a result, many organizations rely on CPM tools as their core reporting and budgeting solution and supplement with Excel models for various ad-hoc tasks that are not worthwhile to design into the CPM solution.
Where does CPM Software fit in?
So, which tasks are most suitable for Corporate Performance Management software? CPM solutions take you beyond Excel models and enable a business to build a reporting and planning platform that drives efficiency, enables faster and more reliable information, and provides a tool that can scale with the growth of an organization. With CPM software, financial professionals can:
- Gain the organization-wide visibility needed to effectively monitor and measure performance
- Easily combine data from the ERP system as well as other key information sources
- Enable a collaborative, secure cloud platform for reporting and planning
- Automate repetitive tasks in the budgeting and reporting processes
- Quickly generate forecasts and create what-if scenarios during times of uncertainty
- Manage cash flows to predict future needs and ensure solvency
- Give users a self-service, on-demand platform, with tools tailored to their specific role
- Improve data accuracy with strong controls and reconciliation tools
- Shorten the cost and time for tasks such as annual budgeting and monthly reportingÂ
- Gain better prediction through efficient driver-based models that can be quickly updated
- Simplify multi-company consolidations, including eliminations and currency conversion
- Enable the use of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning
- Drive faster and better decisions with a single version of the truth
- And so much more
As companies grow out of Excel spreadsheets for essential financial and planning processes, they can deploy CPM platforms to streamline budgeting, forecasting, financial reporting, and consolidations processes. It should be noted that some of the leading CPM solutions are popular among finance users exactly because they tightly integrate with Excel. This can be thought of as an architecture that takes the best of Excel and the best of a cloud platform and marries the two.
With automation also comes the opportunity to reduce the cost of manual labor and increase accuracy and the time it takes to deliver essential information to decision-makers. What used to take weeks or months with spreadsheets can be reduced to days or hours with modern cloud-based CPM solutions.Â
Benefits of CPM Software
A popular notion in recent years is that data is the new gold. While homegrown spreadsheet models can burst at the seams if you try to store too much data, it also quickly turns into a security risk.Â
Corporate Performance Management software significantly eliminates these problems by using scalable cloud databases to store data, including from many different data sources. Detailed, menu-driven user administration with single sign-on and multi-factor authentication ensures that reports and budgets are only accessible to the right team members and for the assigned business areas.
As the number of data sources and the actual transaction volume grow, the complexity in spreadsheet models grows exponentially. Similarly, as the number of end users entering data and sharing Excel files grows, formula errors and data entry mistakes become rampant.Â
CPM platforms eliminate or significantly reduce such issues by connecting directly to the APIs of your data sources to load historical data on a scheduled basis, enabling power users to deploy (and update!) dashboards, financial reports, and budget models directly to end users in their web browsers.
As a result of the process and quality improvements to planning and reporting activities, the migration from spreadsheet models to a CPM platform will, in a clear and visible way, drive faster and more informed financial and operational decisions.
With modern, cloud-based CPM software you and your staff can focus more on managing the business and stop spending time maintaining complex spreadsheet models. A popular statement related to benefits of CPM platforms is that you will go from spending 80% of your time managing spreadsheets and data and leaving only 20% of your time for analysis, to spending 20% of your time on managing your CPM solution and 80% of your time will be available for analysis.
CPM as an Integrated Cloud Platform
Corporate Performance Management software started becoming popular in the 1990s. The software category matured and a number of CPM offerings for smaller, midsize, and enterprise organizations arrived between 2000 and 2020. Many of these solutions were originally built for on-premises deployment, and they could also be hosted as individual instances in third-party server farms, often referred to as hosting providers.
From 2020 and onward, all modern CPM vendors have built or re-written their solutions to be public cloud, multi-tenant solutions hosted and updated by the vendors themselves.Â
Somewhat tedious annual upgrades or patches done by consultants or your IT department have been replaced by automated monthly cloud updates that arrive in your browser with new features and improvements next time you log in.Â
In a similar fashion, what used to be a significant upfront purchase followed by annual maintenance fees now have become cloud subscriptions with a once-a-year renewal. Beyond pricing and automated, frequent updates there are other benefits with modern, cloud-based CPM software, such as pre-built connectors to your data sources and marketplaces with pre-built reports, dashboards, and budget templates.Â
Combined with the complete elimination of the need to buy and maintain local hardware servers with related electricity costs and database licenses, ROI calculations (free tool here) show that cloud CPM solutions provide significantly better return on investments than the classic on-premises offerings, and they are easier for vendors to support than thousands of local installations at customersâ offices.Â
Rapid CPM Deployment Drives Quick Time to Value
Top CPM vendors have taken the CPM experience to the next level by innovating the initial deployment experience to offer almost immediate use of their product. Two such innovation examples are Solverâs QuickStart and Template Marketplace.Â Â
The underlying technology uses pre-built data source connectors, setup wizards and ready-to-use reports, dashboards, and budget forms to enable as quick as single-day mini-implementations that later can be expanded with custom report writing and other tailoring. That is a vastly quicker time-to-value than classic implementations where you start with an empty CPM box and it often takes 2-3 months of implementation before you get practical use of your new system.Â
Here are some important functionality trends and best practices delivered by modern CPM providers:
PRE-BUILT INTEGRATIONS TO ERPS AND OTHER DATA SOURCES
Integrating your transaction data sources to a CPM solution can be a tedious task, often with technical integration consultants involved for days if not weeks. However, with many CPM vendors partnering up with ERP firms, it is increasingly normal that CPM vendors create specific integrations to each popular ERP system, sometimes even with the fields in each system coming pre-mapped.Â
Â MARKETPLACES WITH OUT-OF-THE BOX TEMPLATES
In the old days, CPM solutions were sold as empty boxes and implementations started from scratch with no budget forms, reports, or dashboards. Nowadays, CPM vendors have realized that customers want quick time to value, and as a result the trend is toward in-app marketplaces where users with a few clicks can select and download templates for immediate use. These templates are typically modifiable so users can change colors, add columns, etc. to tailor them to corporate standards.
SELF-PACED ONLINE TRAINING ACADEMIES
Pre-COVID it was still relatively normal to have physical in-class training to learn a new enterprise software. However, with modern training portals, most vendors now offer self-paced academies where users can learn the CPM software through videos and tutorials and earn certifications from the comfort of their own home.
Lengthy big-bang implementations were the standard of CPM projects in the past. It led to higher-risk projects as numerous architectural decisions had to be made, often with required input from users who still did not fully understand how the system would work with their own data.Â
With modern rapid deployment options, users can almost immediately start using standard reports, dashboards, and budget forms, which significantly enhances their ability to make smart and informed decisions for later tailoring and expansion of the system. This approach is often described with popular terms such as crawl-walk-run, quick win, MVP (minimum viable product), or rapid deployment.
MAKE BETTER DECISIONS
While a primary goal for CPM software is to automate financial reporting and planning processes, even more important is how it will support faster and better decisions. Timely information available in the right format and to the right manager can have a direct impact on the companyâs top and bottom line, whether it drives revenue maximization or cost control.Â
Furthermore, and especially during uncertain times, the planning capabilities often become the core value of a corporate performance platform, allowing users to quickly modify drivers and create new budget and forecast scenarios that managers can use for their human capital planning and other essential strategies and tactics.Â
The key is to use the CPM solution to free up time for analysis and decisions by automating otherwise tedious data collection, consolidation, reconciliation, and presentation preparation.Â
Is Now the Time for Integrated Financial Planning and Reporting With CPM?
One of the key benefits of modern Corporate Performance Management solutions is to streamline planning and reporting processes and at the same time enable your business with a secure cloud platform that consistently produces one version of the truth compared to what you can do with homegrown spreadsheet models, multiple report writers, etc. So, if you have arrived at this conclusion, what are the typical next steps?
- Document What Constitutes Success
Meet with executive sponsors and key users to document the desired business outcomes of the CPM project from their point of view. These should be presented to the CPM vendors you are going to evaluate to ensure that they feel comfortable that their solution can deliver these outcomes. The outcomes should also be brought up during and at the end of the project to ensure alignment.Â
- Create a list of open-ended questions
- Interview executives and key users
- Reconcile answers and document them in a clear bullet point formatÂ Â
- Define Your Needs
By creating a clearly defined list of your planning and reporting needs and pains, you will be able to communicate relevant requirements to the CPM vendor when the evaluation process starts.
- Document current as well as desired planning and reporting processes
- Document the data sources that will be feeding the CPM systemÂ Â
- Quantify time currently spent on such processes
- Describe critical and required functionalityÂ
- Estimate cost of inefficiencies and inaccurate data
- Select the CPM Solution With the Best Fit
The good news is that a number of good Corporate Performance Management solutions are on the market. Usually these are optimized for smaller, medium, and large organizations, and pricing and complexity are closely related to your company size and user count. Here are suggested steps to help find the best CPM solution for your needs:
- Use a software evaluation tool like G2 to build a shortlist of CPM vendors
- Contact the vendors and provide your documentation from #1 and #2 above
- Perform vendor interviews and get product demonstrations
- Compare functionality and cost for each solution
- Make final selection with input from users and any third-party experts
- Implementation and Go Live
Even the best software can be implemented poorly, resulting in a subpar outcome. For this reason, you want to carefully verify that consultants and your own team that will be helping with the implementations have the right experience and track record.Â
- Define the joint consultant/employee implementation team.
- Create a good project plan with clearly defined phases, timelines, and responsible person(s).
- Be willing to think new based on functionality in the chosen CPM platform (i.e., âsquare peg in a square holeâ) as well as suggestions to make improvements over your old planning and reporting models.
- Identify areas that can deliver quick wins that enable part of the solution to be used right away. This can often be achieved with pre-built connectors and out-of-the-box or sample templates from the vendor.
- Communicate well and often and encourage the team to drive innovation and improvements.
With proper planning and execution, you have a high likelihood that your new CPM solution will help take your organization to the next level. Your finance and accounting team will spend less time maintaining old models and have more time for analysis and decision-making.
If this is the right time for you to look at a CPM solution, take a look at the Solver tour and contact our team at any time to tell us about your needs. With Solverâs QuickStart integrations and pre-built templates, you could be on your way in as little as one day!