With BI360 organizations can report live from their Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) or from the BI360 Data Warehouse (DW).Â The question is which one is best for your organization.Â Each organization needs to determine which approach is best or whether a hybrid approach is best.Â This article will give the benefits of using each option.
There are three main benefits of reporting live from the ERP:
- Live Reporting: there is a direct connection from many ERPâs directly into BI360, which allows for live reporting on thousands of fields.Â This means that once a transaction is entered into the ERP, then it is available for reporting.Â There is not a delay or a process that a user needs to wait for.
- Cost of Configuration: BI360 is already pre-configured for thousands of fields in many ERP; therefore, once the software is installed a person can start building reports.
- Metadata: as mentioned, there are already multiple modules and thousands of fields already available for many ERPâs, such as all Microsoft Dynamics products, Sage MAS500 and X3, and Epicor Prophet 21.Â Standard modules and fields are constantly being added at no cost.
The BI360 Data Warehouse offers many advantages as well:
- Speed: using the DW enables organizations to perform many tasks to speed up reports, such as indexing, using a different server which is recommended, and using the flexibility of the DW to enhance report building.
- Report Design: Building reports directly from ERP requires hard-coding many times, such as accounts.Â For example, cash would be a specific account range and then accounts receivable would be set up as another range.Â The DW allows an organization to create trees or attributes so that the report design can point to current assets and the report will dynamically expand.Â This will limit the number of groupings, which will greatly enhance speed. Please refer to the White Paper BI360 White Paper – Using Attributes instead of Account Ranges.
- Consolidation: consolidating multiple companies from the ERP requires the multi-company tool.Â The DW allows companies to build hierarchy trees and report on any level of the tree.
- Combine Multiple Sources: gives the ability to combine multiple data sources and report from them using one connection.
There are many advantages to using either solution, but we have many clients that use a hybrid solution.Â The recommendation would be to clearly define what reports would be built connecting to the ERP vs. the DW, so that there is no confusion within the organization.Â An example of a hybrid approach would be using the ERP for subledgers and the DW for budgeting and financial/operational reporting.